When I hear champagne, all I can think of is weddings, a birthday, or a promotion. What are your first thoughts when you think of champagne?
In most parts of the world, champagne has always been a popular beverage. It is paired with food and served alongside other beverages in restaurants and clubs.
Cut to the present and I see champagne making its presence felt in India more than ever. I see the bubbly being popped in most parties and is part of the bar menu on most restaurants I have visited recently. Cheers to that, fellow Indians!
Related: Best Red Wine Brands in India
I am a self-proclaimed champagne aficionado and have done my bit of reading on the subject. I wanted to put together a list of the best champagne brands in India so all of you can enjoy this exquisite beverage.
|Dom Perignon||Suitable for all seasons, perfect blend of guava and grapefruit, Strong aroma.||17,000 INR|
|Laurent Perrier||Affordable, Red fruit aroma, rich and fresh flavor.||4,000 INR|
|Krug||Fruity flavor, a unique technique of storing in Oaks, a blend of 47 wines.||6,000 INR|
|Ayala||Originated in 1860, award-winning, Flavors of citrus and apples.||5,500 INR|
|Pierre Taittinger||Renowned brand, husky texture, a much loved Champagne.||6,000 INR|
|Duval Leroy||Two variants, mineral-rich, best paired with seafood and white meat.||5,000 INR|
|Pol Roger||Connoisseurs choice, balanced, fruity flavor with a hint of bitterness,||3,500 INR|
|Dom Ruinart||Aged for 72 months, fresh floral notes, vintage brand.||11,400 INR|
|Besserat Champagne Cuvée Des Moines||Long-lasting aroma, undergoes malolactic fermentation, has a crisp acidic aftertaste.||9,000 INR|
|Louis Roederer||Exclusive, dry Champagne, best non-brut bubbly.||20,000 INR|
|Moet and Chandon Imperial||Indian brand, much-loved blend, vanilla, and fruity notes.||5,000 INR|
|PALMES D’OR||Full-bodied, dry, and very dry variants, best paired with red meat.||16,000 INR|
|G.H. Mumm Brut Cordon Rouge||Pear and red apple flavor, refreshing, a hint of almond.||3, 500 INR|
|Veuve Clicquot||Pale pink champagne, strong taste, suitable for dinner.||5,000 INR|
|Ace Of Spade Rose||Exquisite packaging, blend of 50% Pinot Noir and 40% Pinot Meunier.||80,000 INR|
|Premium Dom Ruinart Blanc De Blancs||Delightful citrus fruity flavour, floral notes and complex aromas.||11,500 INR|
|Chandon Brut||Strong taste note with moderate sparkling.||5,000 INR|
|Bollinger Special Cuvee Brut||Popular in India, Soft aroma and flavor||4,500 INR|
|Cattier||Premium, Good aftertaste.||40,000 INR|
After having reviewed all the Champagne Brands in India based on taste, aging, aroma, source and much more; my team and I zeroed in on 20 brands that really stood out. The Champagne from these 20 brands were put through a series of tests to determine the best. We found that:
The best Champagne Brand in India is Dom Perignon. While it is expensive, it has an exceptional blend of both taste and aroma. The creamy taste along with the earthy aromatic notes delivers a vivid sensory experience. It is available in two varieties: Pinot Noir and Chardonnay.
Related: Best Beer Brands in India
- 1 Best Champagne Brands in India
- 1.1 Dom Perignon
- 1.2 Laurent Perrier
- 1.3 Krug
- 1.4 Ayala
- 1.5 Taittinger
- 1.6 Duval Leroy
- 1.7 Pol Roger
- 1.8 Dom Ruinart
- 1.9 Besserat Champagne Cuvée Des Moines
- 1.10 Louis Roederer
- 1.11 Moet and Chandon
- 1.12 PALMES D’OR
- 1.13 G.H. Mumm Brut Cordon Rouge
- 1.14 Veuve Clicquot
- 1.15 Premium Dom Ruinart Blanc De Blancs
- 1.16 Ace Of Spade Rose
- 1.17 Canard-Duchene
- 1.18 Chandon Brut
- 1.19 Bollinger Special Cuvee Brut
- 1.20 Cattier
Best Champagne Brands in India
We have adopted the champagne culture so well that the best brands in the world are now available here. Not just that, they are competing with each other.
So my list of the “Best champagne Brands in India” is based on certain key factors such as…
- The grapes
So if you didn’t already know the best brands or were looking to buy a bottle of fine champagne for your next celebration. Let’s drink, err read on, shall we?
This champagne has been known around the world and is now one of the best champagne brands in India. The rare blend of aroma and taste, the Dom Perignon named after Dom Pierre Perignon, the monk who crafted this is also the father of champagnes.
- The Dom Perignon is available in India in two varieties, the Pinot Noir and Chardonnay providing a vivid sensory experience. The aroma is strong on the nose and it starts off as dense and creamy but ends with a hint of composed, earthy notes.
This champagne will be loved by people who want an instantly pep their moods. It is pricey and is sold at approximately 17000 INR.
Related: Best Fruit Juice Brands in India
Introduced in 1812 by Monsieur Laurent, this champagne brand belongs to a family similar to the brut and L brut merchandise.
- Originating from the Alan Terrier vineyards, this champagne is priced at a moderate INR 4000, it is a good choice for people who want to try champagne for the first time.
The flavor is rich with a red fruit aroma loaded with a refreshing taste. I personally like the quality and consistency of this champagne with a rich aroma which makes it second best in my list of best champagne brands in India.
Krug champagne founded in 1843 by Joseph King has a legacy of six generations. Over time the champagne has gone through many changes making it better with time.
- Made in small oaks, the Krug champagne retains its intense complex flavors. One of the undisputed non-vintage champagnes, Krug is a blend of 47 wines from 25 villages. The flavor is sweet with a hint of nuts and acidity as it is aged for about five to seven years.
Available in India at approximately 6,000 INR, I would definitely recommend this champagne as a birthday gift for someone special.
The Ayala champagne makes it to my list of best champagne brands in India for its superb amalgamation of 40% Pinot Noir, 20 % Pinot Meunier and 40% of Chardonnay grapes.
The fruity champagne has a flavor of citrus and green apples which is crisp. It liked by people who don’t really like sweet beverages but would love to taste it once as it has a low sugar dosage. Ayala champagne is not too dry so you can enjoy the smooth taste.
This much-appreciated champagne is named after its creator Pierre Taittinger and has been in business since 1932.
- This was the first champagne I ever had and it holds a special place. It is a mix of Pinot Noir and Chardonnay grapes with a husky flavor profile.
It is a good bottle of champagne made from grapes harvested for several years at a nice price of 6000 INR.
Duval Leroy makes it on my list of the best champagne brands in India for its smooth and delicate taste. It originated in 1859 and has been loved by people since then for its acidity which is not too overpowering.
- With a hint of honey and almond, this champagne is made from the Chardonnay grapes located in Vertus. It is best paired with white meat and comes in a brilliantly packaged bottle.
You can buy this in India for 5000 INR and it is worth the money for the aroma and flavors the champagne exhibits. Trust me on it.
One of the most affordable champagnes in India, Pol Roger is said to be Sir Winston Churchill’s favorite. I love the flavor profile of this champagne and have recommended this to many friends like you.
- The aging process of the Pol Roger along with grapes from the Epernay vinery make this a must-taste champagne, even for aficionados. It showcases a luxury of branded champagnes at approx 3500 INR per bottle.
You can taste a fruity yet feminine flavor at the start followed by a deep note which is quite balanced. People who love drinking champagne with their dinner would love this.
This charming champagne has a rich history of being a visionary spirit. Made from the finest Chardonnay, the Dom Ruinart is a collectors delight.
- The champagne has a rich aroma that fills the nose with a hint of chestnut and coconut. You will also taste citrus fruits and flowers that are rich and fresh.
It is for people who love fine dining and is served in most of the fancy restaurants in India. Rich in minerals, the Dom Ruinart champagne has been in business since 1729 making it one of the oldest champagne brands. It is available in India for approximately 5,000 INR.
Besserat Champagne Cuvée Des Moines
This golden bubbly is one of my most favorite champagnes made by the illustrious champagne makers and named after the Benedictine monks in their honor.
- The champagne, Cuvée Des Moines, makes it to my list of the best champagne brands in India for its golden hue, and the soft creamy taste filled with bubbles.
The technique of viniculture reduces the pressure of the champagne ensuring the crisp nature. This technique is so important that only 7000 bottles of Besserat Champagne Cuvée Des Moines are released each time. Priced at approximately 9000 INR, this champagne is a perfect gift to celebrate someone you love.
One of the premium champagnes in India, the Louis Roederer is a classic blend of 25% Chardonnay and 40% Pinot Noir. This mix of the best grapes is both bought and vineyard grown creates a unique blend.
- This champagne is for people who loved fruity flavors along with hints of citrus. The core fruit notes with their smooth texture along with citrusy crispiness make it one of the most expensive champagnes sold in India.
- At 20000 INR per bottle, It is one of the best champagnes money can buy.
The vineyard has been producing this since 1886 and is regarded as one of the best champagnes in the world. The packaging is exquisite and suits the brand.
Moet and Chandon
This champagne had to make it on my list of the best champagne brands in India as it is an all Indian brand and it is one of the best too.
- The Moët & Chandon Brut with it’s orange-pink color boats of a solid note with hints of apple, strawberry, orange and grape. This one is definitely for the fruit lover or people who love the fruity flavor in their beverages.
The champagne also has a hint of vanilla which adds to its rich taste. It is sold at an attractive price of approx 5000 INR alongside other variants like Moët & Chandon Rose’ and Moët & Chandon Delice’.
Everything about this champagne, right from the packaging, the bottle design and the taste speaks is a masterpiece. Palmes D’Or Champagne is a bottle of premium champagne with a rich flavor and is priced at 16000 INR.
- I have one in my collection and love the design on the bottle and the packaging. I am yet to open the bottle. It sure deserves a special occasion.
The flavor profile is well balanced with hints of spice and acidity. This is best suited when paired with red meat like pork and veal.
G.H. Mumm Brut Cordon Rouge
This signature champagne from Maison Mumm is a complex blend that is sourced from around 100 distinct crus. The champagne has a crunchy texture with white peace, clover, lemon, and ginger flavors.
- The long aging process with added flavors of toast, nuts, and vanilla made me add this to the list of best champagne brands in India. I really like the mix of flavors and deep and refreshing flavors.
Available in India for approx 3500 INR, the G.H. Mumm Brut Cordon Rouge is a great champagne for any occasion.
The Veuve Clicquot Champagne, known as the “Yellow Label” is one of the most famous champagnes in the world and rightly so.
- The Yellow Label is an ideal match for lunches and dinners. It is best paired with seafood. Pinot Noir is predominant but it also has a touch of Meunier and Chardonnay making it an almost perfect blend.
The brand has been in operation since 1772 and is known for its finesse and elegance. I couldn’t let this slip from my list of the best champagnes in India for its rich and bubbly flavor profile. You can get this in India for approximately 5000 INR.
Premium Dom Ruinart Blanc De Blancs
Another premium champagne from the house of Dom Ruinart is a luxurious golden sparking wine packaged in a beautiful box.
- This champagne is meant for experienced champagne drinkers with a fruity, citrusy flavor with a silky and acidic aftertaste. It starts off as a fresh coconut and chestnut note but ends with a mineral and saline flavor.
Enjoy this wonderful champagne with a home-cooked meal. It is also an ideal gift for newlyweds or your boss on his/her promotion.
Ace Of Spade Rose
A Champagne made with a blend of Chardonnay, Pinot Meunier, and Pinot Noir grape varieties from Montagne de Reims, the Armand de Brignac Ace of spades rose is powerful champagne for its intensity.
- The champagne comes in a bottle designed by the fashion house André Courrèges. It is a work of art and is presented in a wooden box with an As de Pique coat of arms making it a collector’s item.
I still haven’t tasted this beauty and have added it to my wish list and my list o the best champagne brands in India so you can taste it as soon as possible too. It is a blend of 10% Chardonnay. 50% Pinot Noir and 40% Pinot Meunier.
The Canard Duchene is a champagne made for people with an acquired taste. I have tried it before but it is not one of my favorites.
- It is known for its delicate and silky texture and quite famous for it.
Its taste comes from the blend of smoked almond, candied lemon zest, honey, and blackcurrant. It is available in India for 7500 INR.
Chandon Brut is one of the best champagnes to celebrate a special occasion like a birthday or a house warming ceremony.
- It comes well packaged in a wooden box with plush leather. The bottle is beautiful to look at too.
The champagne is a pinkish-orange color which I personally like and it has a strong taste with notes of strawberry, orange, apple, and grape.
Bollinger Special Cuvee Brut
The Bollinger Special Cuvee Brut is affordable champagne popular in India and is crafted for champagne lovers like me. I recommend this to new champagne enthusiasts as the aroma and flavor is a winner.
- It is priced at approximately 3500 INR and has a flavor palette of apple, cherries, grapes and a hint of chocolate.
It is the right companion to celebrate new success like your promotion or an anniversary dinner with your spouse.
I am yet to get my hands on this champagne in India. It is available and priced at approximately 40000 INR but my search for it in the city I live in has been unsuccessful.
- This made it to my list of the best champagne brands in India for the brand and for the low alcohol levels.
It might be well suited for first-time drinkers of champagne as seasoned drinkers might find the percentage too low. It has a sparkling personality with a blend of fruity and floral notes with hints of berries too.
Which are the best champagne brands in India?
The best brands available in India are Krug Champagne, Dom Perignon Champagne and Louis Roederer Champagne according to me in no particular order.
Which is the most expensive champagne in India?
Cattier at approx 40,000 INR and the most expensive is Ace Of Spade Rose at approx 80,000 INR
Why is champagne expensive?
Most Champagne’s are made in France and the way it is produced makes it more expensive than the rest of the beverages.
What causes the champagne to pop?
The pressure in a champagne bottle is more than that of a car tyre, this along with the bubbles make it pop
What is a champagne glass called?
Hipbrands puts together some of the best brands in India to make it easier for our readers to purchase wisely.
I’m Preethi Menon, an avid learner of tech and gadgets. I have been reviewing top brands for 5 years and aim to do the same more elaborately so as to give a customer everything there is to know about a particular brand. There are brands in India that are overlooked due to the dominating mainstream direction we are headed in. At Hipbrands, we believe in the balance of quality and cost and focus on brands that provide exactly that!
To give you an insight into our expertise, here are some of the major categories that we cover on our site – Technology, Fashion, Food, Accessories, and Information.
So brace yourselves into knowing more and experiencing more from the best brands in the country!