Looking for the most suitable makeup for your skin tone? Check out our list of the Best Makeup Brands In India!
I would love to start off with a quote from Bobbi Brown, an American professional makeup artist, bestselling author, public speaker, entrepreneur, and the founder of Bobbi Brown Cosmetics about makeup.
She once said, “I believe all women are pretty without makeup – but with the right makeup can be pretty powerful.” That being said, after a lot of research, I would like to share with you all the best makeup brands in India.
I have noticed one thing about makeup brands, people either love it or hate it. There is no in-between. Do you agree with that statement? Do drop in a comment if you do or if you don’t.
Whatever the emotion, picking the right brand for you has to be the criteria. You have to be cautious about your skin and ultimately looking good on that special day has no alternatives, right?
I would also like to throw some light on the top 5 companies that own most of the global cosmetic products market which is worth 475.2 Bn US dollars. They are
- Estee Lauder
Let’s get to my pick of the best makeup brands in India now.
After having reviewed all the makeup brands in India based on various factors like ingredients, quality, longevity, price and much more; my team and I zeroed in on 10 that really stood out. These 10 were put through a series of tests to determine the best. We found that:
The best makeup brands in India is Lakme. Not only is this Indian cosmetic brand affordable but it is also made with some of the best quality ingredients. Lakme is also known to make makeup that suits all types of Indian skin tones. Most importantly, Lakme has one of the most extensive ranges when it comes to makeup.
Best Makeup Brands in India
The name resonates with trust. I have known this brand all my life and I’m only 28. Lakme is an Indian cosmetic brand that was started in the year 1952 by J.R.D. Tata and Simone Tata. It is now owned by Hindustan Unilever and is one of the best makeup brands in India’s hands down. It makes one of the best makeup products in India.
I haven’t found a brand with excellent quality and affordable prices. I also love how the ingredients are so safe to use.
- The brand is known for offering the Indian woman a range that is top-notch quality but also affordable making it one of the most loved brands. The rise of the brand can be seen in the annual fashion week the label sponsors, the Lakmé Fashion Week.
- With Lakme, you get the quality you are promised and you rest assured it will suit all types of Indian skin tones which makes it my pick for the best makeup brands in India.
The brand is known for its innovation, and its range includes the Lakme 9 to 5, absolute matte revolution, 9 to 5 natural matte, the Lakme enriches satin lip color range, and Lakme forever matte which have ruled the market in India.
- Wide range of products
- Suits all skin types and tones
- Performance: 9/10
- Range of products: 8/10
- Budget: 9/10
A leading company in the world known for its hair color products, skin and makeup has made a mark in India for the longest time. L’oreal focused more on the hair color products initially but has been making steady strides in the makeup segment too. Loreal is my favorite for its infallible foundation that sets in perfectly and gives such a natural finish. It’s one of the best makeup brands for Indian skin.
- With over 6 research centers across the world, the brand work with the best talent when it comes to models and brand ambassadors. Their marketing team sort of caters to the stars and that has all the customers feeling like one with their products.
- I feel they make products that define the modern woman and with the likes of Aishwarya Rai and Deepika Padukone as their spokespersons, they have pretty much sealed their position in India. Their product range consists of foundations, concealers, lipsticks, eye pencils, compacts, blushes, mascaras and not just limited to hair care products.
Easily, one of their most sold products in India is the L’Oreal Paris Infallible 24H Foundation. Available in most drug stores across India, this product has a lot of fans right from housewives to make-up artists.
- Wide range of products
- Drugstore products
- For all skin tones
- Performance: 9.5/10
- Range of products: 8.5/10
- Budget: 9/10
Since its inception in India, M.A.C has taken over and is now one of the best makeup brands available in India right now. The brand which was launched in 1984 in Toronto is part of the Estee-Lauder companies since 1998. I love using MAC lipsticks because they’re highly pigmented and have a lovely texture. It’s one of the international makeup brands in India that has gained a good fame in the country.
- It is a luxury brand when you compare it with the Indian brands, but I can vouch for the quality they offer. They were initially a company that made products for artists and models but have moved to the retail market creating a niche for itself.
- It is also known for being a socially conscious brand that has raised approximately $86 million towards charity since 1994. M. A. C has a few initiatives like cruelty-Free Beauty and Back to M.A. C recycling that resonates with a lot of people.
- Their brand is a rage on many online portals like Nykaa and Amazon India apart from its own portal and had to make it to my list of best makeup brands in India. They are also known for their retails stores for the collection they offer.
M.A.C is known for the famous M.A.C Retro Matte Lipstick in Ruby Woo. This classic from M.A.C is a shade of red that suits every woman on the planet.
- High-end brand
- Various shades of each product
- High performing makeup brand
- Performance: 10/10
- Range of products: 9.5/10
- Budget: 7/10
Started in 1915 by a 19-year-old, Thomas Lyle Williams, the brand has come a long way since then. I have to share the story behind the brand which is really interesting. Thomas, who saw his sister using coal, ash, and vaseline for her eyebrows wanted to create a fix and now the brand is Maybelline. It’s one of the top 5 makeup brands in India.
- The brand is a subsidiary of L’Óreal now and is headquartered in New York. The brand is a century old and is known for its innovative product range with the first product they launched being a cake mascara. They took over the industry in India in 1998 with their products ‘Colossal Kajal’ and the other one is ‘Baby lips’ the lip balm.
- The products are well suited for Indian skin types as they did their bit of research before their launch and for that reason, it had to make it to my list of best makeup brands in India. They are crowd favourites for being affordable and available in India.
The Maybelline New York Colossal Volume Express Mascara is their go-to product. The product is one of their best sellers and if you haven’t tried it yet, you might be missing out on a quality product.
NYX, a brand founded by 25-year-old Toni Ko in California with a loan borrowed from her parents. This brand that had such a humble beginning was named after Nyx, the Greek goddess of the night.
- Toni Ko sold her company to L’Oreal in 2014 for 500 Million and since then the brand has only seen more success. Their product range boasts of lip creams, eyeliners, foundation, and other skincare essentials.
The NYX Professional Makeup Soft Matte Lip Cream is one of their best sellers. I personally love their lip creams for the shades and how amazing they smell. If you like cookies and cream or cupcakes, you cannot miss their lip creams.
Launched in 2005, Colorbar is a major beauty brand in India along with other countries like France, Germany, Italy, Greece. I love the fact that they care for their consumers and provide products that are value for money.
- They match their customer’s expectations with quality products like foundations, lipsticks, and eye makeup for the new-age woman. The results are for everyone to see as they won accolades like the Retailer of the Year award, 2017, and the Femina Beauty Award too.
The Colorbar Perfect Match Primer is, without doubt, the best primer in the market according to my friends. If you want that flawless base without making a dent in your pocket. Try this product from Colorbar today!
How could I miss the very brand I started with from my list of best makeup brands in India. Bobbi Brown founded her brand in 1991 and was acquired by Estee Lauder in 1995 owing to its success.
- The luxury brand has seen great success in India since its launch. The product range that includes Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner is the most sold Bobbi Brown product.
They sell about 2 pieces every minute around the globe. Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner has a cult following for being the best in its category.
I am sure a lot of you have heard about this brand and have used it too. I remember seeing the ads way back as a child and wondering what the fuss was all about. The brand Revlon was started in 1932 in the USA and known to be one of the trendsetters in the world in this space.
- They were and still are a brand to reckon with In India in the makeup space. They have a lot of product variants ranging from makeup, personal care that also includes fragrances.
The Revlon Colorstay Foundation is best suited for people with dry skin. As it has hydration and long-lasting coverage, a lot of people in India love this foundation.
Available in over 110 countries, Avon was founded in 1886 making this one of the oldest makeup brands to exist to date. They have a wide range of products too ranging from hair care, skincare and a whole range of fragrances.
- I have personally used many of their fragrances like the Imari Bold, Seduction and the most popular fragrance of Avan called the Little Black Dress.
If you are looking for a lipstick that gives you great texture and finish, Avon True Color Perfectly Matte Lipstick is the right pick. If you ask me about which shade, I would recommend the Mauve Matters.
Starting off as a portal for selling makeup of different brands to creating their own brand of makeup, Nykaa has grown leaps and bounds.
- The brand has makeup products that are affordable and are meant for the Indian skin type. With products starting from INR 199, how can you not shop from here?
- I like their product range which has almost every kind of makeup for example lip colours, eye shadow palettes, primer, foundation, concealers, highlighters, nail paints, and much more.
The brand totally caters to its customers by offering quality goods at really affordable prices which the population of India has lapped up.
How to select a makeup brand for yourself:
- Clean ingredients and cruelty-free: Make sure that the makeup brand you’re going to buy only uses natural and toxic-free ingredients so that your skin isn’t harmed. Going for cruelty-free products makes you more responsible for the environment.
- Performance: The makeup brand you choose should be highly effective and show the results when applied. Read reviews. Watch makeup tutorials by professionals, and contact professionals to know about it.
- Shade and product inclusivity: The brand you chose should include different types of makeup products and in different shades so that you don’t have to move to another brand to buy a certain product/shade.
Budget: If you’re a beginner, go for affordable brands with good quality. However, if you’re a professional, you can go for high-end brands.
Best Makeup Brands In India – Takeaway
That concludes my list of best makeup brands in India and before you make your choice let me tell you what factors you must consider before you pick a brand.
- Skin type
If you ask me what types of makeup are available in the market, I have listed a few types below so you can choose the best in each category.
Types of Makeup in India
1. vegan & cruelty-free
2. Dermatologist tested
3. Herbal & Natural makeup
4. Value for money makeup
Please ensure you check all the boxes so you get a product that is right for you. I really hope this exhaustive list of brands has helped you as much as it has helped my friends and family. I hope to churn out more such content for you in the future.
Hipbrands puts together some of the best brands in India to make it easier for our readers to purchase wisely.
I’m Preethi Menon, an avid learner of tech and gadgets. I have been reviewing top brands for 5 years and aim to do the same more elaborately so as to give a customer everything there is to know about a particular brand. There are brands in India that are overlooked due to the dominating mainstream direction we are headed in. At Hipbrands, we believe in the balance of quality and cost and focus on brands that provide exactly that!
To give you an insight into our expertise, here are some of the major categories that we cover on our site – Technology, Fashion, Food, Accessories, and Information.
So brace yourselves into knowing more and experiencing more from the best brands in the country!
Lakme 9 to 5 Eye Color Quartet Eye Shadow
Check out the top makeup brands in India here that work effectively to glam yourself up. Do check out Lakme products as it's the best brand out of all. Read further to know more.
Product SKU: 4095849089048609GHY
Product Brand: Lakme
Product Currency: INR
Product Price: 560
Price Valid Until: 2022
Product In-Stock: InStock