Check out our list of the Top Chatting Apps in India!
We are a generation hooked to smartphones and computers. A generation so attached to these devices, they have become an extension of us, almost. We are connected to the world with these devices, we communicate through them. Get our daily dose of news and entertainment through them.
We listen to music, watch videos, and what not? With the pandemic in full force across the globe, communication apps have taken center stage. They have become more than just apps.
They have helped save lives, became tools to communicate with loved ones which was the need of the hour. They helped us connect with old friends and new, discuss what was best for us, what was not.
Related: Best Earphones With A Mic Under 1000
I am thankful for all these apps and as an ode, I wanted to share with all of you, the top chatting apps in India that have made such a difference.
After having reviewed all the top chatting apps in India based on various factors like user interface, user experience, features, and much more; my team and I zeroed in on 7 that really stood out. We subjected these 7 to a series of tests and found that:
The top chatting app in India is WhatsApp. With over 10 years of R & D, this is one of the best apps when it comes to messaging. Not only can the user send text messages but they can also send pictures, video, documents, voice messages, and even video call anyone. Most importantly, WhatsApp has an amazing privacy feature. Its end-to-end encryption ensures that the messages are secure and can only be seen by the person the user is communicating with.
Top Chatting Apps in India
WhatsApp took the world by storm in 2010 but the first release happened on the app store in November 2009. It is now one of the most popular chatting apps not just in India but the world over.
End-to-end encryption is supposed to be the best in the world. This implies that your messages are secure you and the person you are communicating with can see.
I personally liked the growth from an instant messenger to what it is now. Now you can send pictures, video, documents, voice messages, and also video call anyone. That is amazing, isn’t it?
The app was known for its data encryption and privacy it offered its users. It has been in the news lately for the same reason but in a negative way. I’m sure we all have some good memories of this app that is owned by Facebook and approximately 200 million users in India.
- It is free
- The app can be used to share your location and your live location
- You can broadcast one message to a set number of people at once
- The video calling feature is one of the best I have used
- The group functionality is easy to use and is the most used feature on this app
- The app is ad-free
- The calling feature is restricted to some countries
- There is a limit to the file size you can send
- I miss stickers and face filters
- You need a phone number to use WhatsApp which can be a limitation for many
Facebook Messenger is on my list of the top chatting apps in India as it lets me communicate with my Facebook contacts without having to access the social network. I really like this as I tend to get distracted at times with posts and videos which I can totally avoid with this app.
What started as Facebook Chat in 2008 saw a major revamp in 2010. But the current avatar was released as a standalone iOS and Android app in August 2011.
I am sure you have used the app and if you haven’t I will take you through a comprehensive review of the pros and cons of using this chatting app.
- It is fast: As the app connects to Facebooks chatting system, chats are sent and received faster than a mobile network-based system.
- It is free: All this app needs to work is a data connection.
- Users and make calls and send files: I like the fact that this messenger supports calls and the option to send files.
- Data privacy: When compared to other apps, your data may be compromised as Facebook may record conversations as per its terms and conditions.
- Battery life: Constant usage of the messenger app can have an impact on the battery life of your device
- Space: The app consumes almost approximately 100MB of your phone storage which can be a hindrance if you use phones with low storage.
I had to include Hike in my list of top chatting apps in India apps as it is not just a chatting app, it can provide informative news, you get stock updates, and sports scores too.
I personally love this app for its stickers and the fact that it is available in 40 different Indian languages. That is truly an app made in India and made for Indians.
Along with their stickers, the company has introduced HikeMoji which lets you personalize emojis and express yourself better. I’ll explain the app better with most important pros and cons.
- Hike supports both national and international messaging
- The stickers on Hike is one of the most interesting features and consists of every emotion you can think of
- You get to win rewards for referrals, It makes me feel wanted. Have you tried it yet?
- The integration of features like games, sports scores, the news is really useful
- The availability of a personal assistant in the app is another star feature
- This app allows you to send any file format
- The lack of a video calling feature can affect app downloads
- The app can lag when there are updates and this can be irritating
This chatting app is a classic and I had to add it to my list for sheer nostalgia. It was one of the first chatting apps I used. It was easy back then, it is even to this day, the simplest app to use. I certainly feel so. What do you think?
I have been using Hangouts for texting, video, and voice calls, and not to forget the group chat of which I have fond memories.
Available on Android and iOS and on desktop, hangouts lets you sync chats across these devices which is awesome.
- The group chat can allow up to 150 people making it the go-to chatting app for small offices or startups
- It is the best app for professionals who like an integrated and efficient platform for communication
- You don’t need a phone number. With just a Gmail account, you can start communicating with all your contacts
- You have the option to video call up to 10 contacts for free
- Mobile video conferencing is an added bonus
- The sync option across devices
- Security may be a concern
- They should allow users to track if the msgs have been read by other parties
- They should allow integration toa format corporate tool like Microsoft 365
One of the fastest-growing chatting apps in India right now, Telegram was launched in 2013. This chatting app is fast, simple, and secure if I had to describe it in one sentence.
I like the seamless integration across devices which is an added advantage. Another feature I love about Telegram is the ability to chat with phone contacts and find people using usernames.
Another top feature is the secret chat which lets you send self-destructing messages and files like pictures and videos. You can also send large files with no issues.
- Fast and reliable – The chatting app is fast even when the network is poor. This is a super feature for a country like India
- The self-destruct message feature for added security is something I use all the time
- Chat groups can accommodate 200,000 members, that’s unbelievable for a chatting app.
- The photo and video editing tools are a boon for creative people.
- I have faced new notification bugs in the app. I don’t get a notification even when I have messages waiting.
- The search option doesn’t work at times.
- A few countries don’t have access to the app
- I have seen a few scams that are being circulated
How can I forget Skype, the chatting app which let us connect to people all around the globe. The app connected us to friends and family way before the new age apps took over.
The number of users at one point of time is unimaginable. Skype has over 600 million users in 2016 which is unbeatable even now. Let me update you with the latest news, during the pandemic there was a 70% increase in the number of daily users in March 2020. This is just to prove how popular it still is.
- Amazing audio and video quality. I think they have a great server backing this.
- Ability to share really heavy files. I have shared movies with my friends abroad. That is something
- It doesn’t lag or buffer on low internet speeds
- The ease of sharing your screen is very easy. I also like how easy it is to organize and favorite contacts
- Lack of emoticons can be a bummer for a few people
- No option to access remotely. It can help IT desks troubleshoot a lot of issues
- The sign-in process can get a little irritating.
I used this chatting app for a while and I liked the newness that is provided. The ability to create polls was so much fun. I also liked using the filters when making video calls. It added a fun element.
The ability to choose from a variety of stickers was another top feature. The group capacity is limited to 200 people which is good enough. Line app is another chatting app that gives you news, movies, and sports updates.
- The accessibility across operating systems and devices
- You can use your phone number as your identity to start chatting on Line
- You can use the blacklist option to block people
- You can use line on the laptop too
- A data breach is a possibility as the encryption level is not as good as the other apps
- The app size is big when you compare it with other chatting apps
Top Chatting Apps in India – Takeaway
Those were my pick of the top chatting apps in India. I really hope I could share for useful information.
I also came across a lot of Indian chatting apps that are popular in this space. These are apps designed in India. Made for the people of India by Indians. This list is for people who want to support Indian companies. Check them out.
- Indian Messenger App
- Namaste Bharat
- TROOP Messenger
That was my pick of the top chatting apps in India. I really hope I could share for useful information. I hope you all are safe and I wish you have to use these apps to share a lot of joy and happiness and avoid spamming people.
With so much happening around the globe, we all deserve a bit of peace and positive thoughts. Do share this list with your friends and family. Thanks.
Hipbrands puts together some of the best brands in India to make it easier for our readers to purchase wisely.
I’m Preethi Menon, an avid learner of tech and gadgets. I have been reviewing top brands for 5 years and aim to do the same more elaborately so as to give a customer everything there is to know about a particular brand. There are brands in India that are overlooked due to the dominating mainstream direction we are headed in. At Hipbrands, we believe in the balance of quality and cost and focus on brands that provide exactly that!
To give you an insight into our expertise, here are some of the major categories that we cover on our site – Technology, Fashion, Food, Accessories, and Information.
So brace yourselves into knowing more and experiencing more from the best brands in the country!